Friday, November 28, 2008

THANKSGIVING

Turkey Dinner Pictures, Images and Photos
I didn't get any pictures of my Thanksgiving this year. My camera was dead, and I forgot it anyway. We were invited to our good friend Tyler's house. His family was there, and he considers us family. It's a good thing otherwise we would've been having an expensive and LONG cooking day for just our tiny family. Although the leftovers would've been nice. :o)
The evening was INTERESTING to say the least!! I finally got to meet most of Tyler's family. All people Dorian has already met over the years. He would meet them by going to volleyball tournaments, and I would stay home with Carson. It was finally nice to put faces to names. And since we've know Tyler for almost our entire marriage, this meant a lot.
I got to talking with his Grandma, Patricia Felton (maiden name), and she mentioned she lived in Burley. I told her that I had a great aunt that lived there. She asked me the name, and it slipped me for about 5 minutes. Finally I remembered and told her that it was Larry and Marjean Holm. She lives down the hill form them, and we were laughing thinking it was such a small world. She then got to talking about her best friend growing up. Marjean's brother married her, but died working on a car. I thought *INTERESTING!!!!!!* So I asked what her friend's name was. She said, "Leetha." I about had an aneurism! I said, "that's my grandma!!!!" Now this really is a small world. Her husband was shocked to know that I was the granddaughter of Leetha and Wayne Wilcox. She shared many stories with me of when they were growing up, and I could have hugged the lady all night. SHE DEFINITELY SEEMS LIKE SOMEBODY WHO WOULD'VE BEEN BEST FRIENDS WITH MY GRANDMA!
It was such a nice feeling to be so close to someday, even for a short time, who had a history with my VERY MISSED grandma. I will always remember this Thanksgiving.
Basically, we can say we're related to Tyler now! (sort of. Close enough.)


On a side note:
I just finished reading Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. IT WAS SO GOOD! I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good read. And just think, there are two more that go with it!! I can't wait.

6 comments:

Becky N. said...

Oh my gosh!! What a small world. You're so lucky! I would have loved to hear all the stories. I miss Grandma so much, too. I often wish I had a chance to get to know her as an adult, have those more adult type of conversations, you know? I'm sure talking to someone who was her friend was so wonderful.

The opportunity would have totally slipped by me, if I were in your shoes. I wouldn't have remembered that we had any relatives who lived in a town named Burley. And I certainly wouldn't have remembered which relatives those were, even if I had remembered the town. You're blessed for your memory, I guess! What a nice Thanksgiving!

P.S. - so glad you're enjoying the Shannon Hale books!! It's so nice to find good books after one series hooks you into reading, huh? :) :) :)

The Miles Family said...

Ooh Thank you! I could use a good book in my life! You're strong to be able to wait to see if your baby is a boy or girl. I would like to do that next time! I actually have a feeling it's a girl though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Anonymous said...

Melissa...I am so happy for you. That is wonderful that you got to meet Tyler's grandma and hear those stories about your grandma. What a blessing. It'll be a Thanksgiving you won't soon forget. I'm so glad for you. Love to all of my boys and you. :) Mom

Anonymous said...

I proud of you for remembering names and having such a wonderful experience. I cried while reading the blog and miss your Grandma too.

April said...

Glad you had a good thanksgiving! Hope you are feeling well these days! I saw twilight and loved it too! I want to read it all over again!

Natalie said...

I'm glad you're done with Goose Girl. Now bring it back to the library so I can read it! ;)

That's great that you had a blast with Tyler's family (I have no clue who he is, but I'm sure it was awesome). I too have a soft spot for the elderly and love to chat with them. The age gap doesn't really come to effect once you can both relate with something (or someone, in your case!), so I'm glad that you got that experience.